Sunday, November 10, 2013

11-8-13

Yes, November 8 came last Friday, not today, but I decided to try and revive my old habit of remembering the day I was baptized.  Again, I would think it more important to remember the date Jesus came into my life, but that is not something I can't pin down to a particular date.

It is important to remember some things. We remember the Lords Supper and some of going to church is about remembering Christ. Funny how even important things get pushed out of our minds by everyday life. November 8 is a reminder of a time when Jesus made Himself known to me when it was the last thing I would have expected. Something I consider worth remembering.

Yes, I am all for remembering things of the past that are important. Yet I am wondering if sometimes we place too much emphasis on history and not enough on current events. As beautiful as that special time in my life was, what about today? All the stories of the Bible are frozen in time. They can comfort us and guide us, and help us get a better view of God, but many of  the stories that matter to us are being written today. We need to focus on where we are going as well as where we have been.

Finding God on 11/8/80 was easy. Finding Him on 11/10/13 isn't so easy. Maybe that is why I am trying to restore my old practice. Its a place to start, but its not my goal. I really need a faith that can  deal with my current struggles and take me in the direction I need to be going.

No comments:

Post a Comment