Sunday, January 4, 2015

For Leelah

Dear Leelah:

I cannot begin to express the sadness the news of your death has brought me. Not only do I live only a short distance from where you lived,  it has not been too long ago since I heard the story of a "christian" couple who drove their son away because he was gay. He died from the drugs he used to dull the emotional pain he felt.

I am a Transwoman and a Christian. I have to say that all things considered I have been blessed. The Christian Psychologist I saw was a friend who was accepting and seem to know there was something feminine about me before I came out.

The friends I had "back then" are still my friends today. The church I attend accepts me as I am, even though some of the people there knew my "other self". I was even recently invited to talk to the congregation about my situation.

I want you to know that were it possible, I would have traded you my advantages if it would have saved your life. You are worth it. Jesus made it plain how much you were worth to Him.

I am sorry for the pain you experienced in your short life. At least I am in a position to understand.


Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment