A while back author Anne Rice stated that she was no longer a Christian. No, she continued to worship Christ, and she continued to meet with like minded spiritual people. What she did give up with was the anti-woman, anti-homosexual, anti other things teachings of the Catholic Church. Today I read a letter in the Columbus Dispatch implying that the teachings of Christ don't apply to the GLBT community. Anne, mind if I join you? I don't want to be a Christian if it means being an, a uh well you know. I am not against Christ. Yet when I look at some of the people who call themselves "christians", I really want to be called something else.
Today, in Iran and some other countries, Christians are being persecuted, tortured, and killed because of their faith. In the US, "Crybaby Christians" whine and complain when they don't get their way or someone shows them in an unfavorable light. So Christ goes to the Cross for our sins, but somehow we think we are entitled to better treatment.
And what about the recent controversies about businesses refusing to serve certain people because of their alleged faith. Ok then, I can refuse to serve christians because of my faith. But hey, I don't see any of this in the teaching of Jesus. "Love your neighbor as yourself" Don't see any exceptions for GLBT people, or bigoted christians. If I refuse to associate with "sinners", there still is the problem of the sinner I look at in the mirror.
Yes I am ashamed of being associated with all the crap that goes with the term "christian" in this country. I am sure Jesus is too. I am hoping though that I do not disgrace the name of Christ.\
No comments:
Post a Comment