Hey, I am just asking, but if you say yes, I want an explanation. Lets see, a rich man that consistently shows contempt for the poor and downtrodden. Didn’t Jesus tell a story about a rich man and a beggar, and what happened to them after they died?
No, I am resisting the urge to become the President’s judge. Even if it would be sort of fun to refer to myself as “Judge Deb”, I am not the law. Jesus is.
It’s this just that the past 5 or so days have been very upsetting to me. For some reason, there have been a great number of videos on LGBT and God. Once again I am wondering, what if people who worship wealth were in the minorities and the gay and transgender common? Would there be bakeries that refused to serve rich people? Would some of us ask if rich people can go to heaven?
I don’t know. Can you imagine a congregation that welcomes newcomers on the condition they sell everything they owned and give the money to the poor? (no, I don’t mean a cult) You know, sort of like that guy that once confronted a rich young ruler.
It just seems to me that the LGBT community gets so much attention from the religious for no other reason than we are an easy target. Having a scapegoat makes it so much easier to ignore our own sins. Somehow, I don't think you get a free pass for hating others. Actually, it is quite the opposite. You will be judged the same way you judge others.
Can a LGBT person go to heaven? Yes, the same way anyone else can, by belief in Christ. In fact that is the only way anyone gets in. At one time, all of us were enemies of Christ. We didn't get in because we adopted the right politics or hated certain people. We are in because of God's mercy. A mercy that extends to LGBT people as well.
"We are in because of God's mercy." Well said, Deb.
ReplyDelete