It was the year of the great blizzard in Ohio. I had enrolled at Sinclair Community College in Dayton Oh.. My first class was General Psychology, room 4122, professor John Lelak. Prof. Lelak was fun and I enjoyed psychology. My eternal regret is that I did not become a psychologist instead of getting into computers. Much was different then, including my name.
The most extraordinary thing that happened that year was meeting someone name Linda Hills. Yes, she was very attractive , but beyond that she was a Christian. This was where I became one too.
It was really a wonderous time for me. Yes, I have told this story before, but what I am wishing to say requires proper context. Back then my faith was new and innocent of any contamination. There would be good things like being introduced to C.S. Lewis and reading the Chronicles of Narnia. Then there was the Saturday evening in 1979 when instead taking me home from a friend's house my car took me to the youth minister's house so I could get baptized. Its the way I like to remember it.
I wish my Christian life had been one beautiful event after another, but it hasn't. It started when the woman who had always been the real me came out. For 14 years I had no church and all the changes I was going through I went through mostly by myself.
While I was eventually accepted back into the church I would question why some things are the way they are.. The church has been good to me and all but there has been kind of a problem come up that has overstrained my faith.
Maybe you can guess what it is. The political climate has really gone bad for gays and trans people. Donald Trump has been an evil monster doing everything he can against the LGBT community, and lets not forget his war against women.
I wish that were the extent of what is bothering me. Its people I know in church who praise the "Pussygrabber of the United States". Tell me how do you claim to worship God and support someone who cuts assistance for the poor, oppresses women, and separates children from their families. How do you see this as Christ-like?
Yep. having a little problem with anger and forgiveness right now. Wish I didn't. Wish my faith was still like it was back then.
No comments:
Post a Comment