First of all I would like to offer a farewell to Bruce Gerencser's Falling From Grace blog. Bruce stated that he no longer enjoys doing it and has closed down the site.
If you are wondering why a believer would want to read an atheist site, there are a couple of reasons. First, there are times an atheist will tell you the truth when a Christian won't. Bill Maher made it plain that one cannot call themselves a Christian and delight in the death of Bin Laden or condone the torture of prisoners. Do you think you would have heard that on Sunday morning?
Then too, I have never been one who could be comfortable following along with the crowd. I have always had the need to think and ask questions, some of them which will never be answered by the minister. Former believers can talk about the struggles with their former faith. Believers are not always so free.
Its not always a problem with the church. Some of us don’t always find it easy to take our minds off of our own struggles. Yet I have to say that too many times I find my faith far too abstract to be of value in the moment.
My question is how some of us are to fit in. If you are Gay or Transgendered, have emotional or physical difficulties, or just have needs, are we just tolerated, or is our unique situation something that can glorify God?
Great question . . . "are we just tolerated, or is our situation something that can glorify God?" I wonder how the Ethiopian eunuch would have answered that question.
ReplyDeleteI do too. Interesting point is that Phillip was directed by an angel to talk to the Eunuch. I don't know where eunuchs were on the social order, but I sure that he probably didn't expect God reaching out to him.
ReplyDelete