Monday, March 11, 2013

We're All In This Togeather

Yesterday I was at a study when I heard a remark that rubbed me the wrong way. Someone said that nonbelievers had no basis for determining right and wrong. Really? Just what does it take to know murder, theft, adultery and telling lies is a bad thing. I don't have to know the 10 commandments to know that. These things are fairly self-evident.

What bothers me is how this argument sets up the Us vs Them philosophy. People who go to church are automatically better than those who don't. No wonder fewer people claim to be Christian. There are times I am ashamed of the word "Christian".

Unlike the religious people of His day, Jesus didn't have a problem associating with sinners. I am a Transwoman who has a certain degree acceptance where I worship. What if I were a Lesbian? Would that make a difference? Would I be one of those "unclean" individuals that didn't belong in the house of God? If I am outside the love of God, what makes anyone else believe they are on the inside?

We are all in this together. The only thing that separates us from nonbelievers is that our lives are pointed in a different direction. Otherwise we are the same sort of people and share the same problems and enjoy the same love of the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment