Many people know of my love for the music of Amy Grant. In fact her music is more comforting to me than the usual songs sung in church. The reason is that much of her music is of a more personal nature.
I honestly do not know how other Christians feel about this. Sometimes I sit in church and listen to the songs about how great God is and how He is over everything. Nothing really wrong here except some times when I am hurting all the talk of God’s power and glory and all the words simply means nothing to me.
Obviously, God is beyond human understanding, but sometimes that is precisely the problem. How does a transcendent God fit into our daily lives, much less offer comfort and direction. We are like Moses, who wanted to see God’s glory but as a mortal could not hope to comprehend it.
A God too large cannot offer us comfort and for some is often quite intimidating and tends to invoke fear not love. There are times I really don’t need a God who is “Over and Above All”. I need one who is over and above my fears and weaknesses and who calls me to conquer them. I need a God small enough for me to call “Father”
No comments:
Post a Comment