Monday, June 4, 2018

Knowing


 Sunday morning a friend of mine posted a video. The woman in the video mentioned she had friends, yet she was suffered from chronic depression and anxiety, something I am very familiar with.
 What got my attention was her question “Does anyone care about me or what my life is like?” Oh yes! Bullseye! Just what I think about before church sometimes. Yes I am accepted and do not forget all the times I got help when I needed it. Yet I am feeling something isn’t quite right.

 I show up at church, but does anyone know who I am? Some of you know I am Trans, but do you know I live in fear because of the current political climate? Do you know how alone I feel or is that just TMI? Is your faith something that matters to you, or is it just a spectator sport? Well, it does matter to me what Jesus did on the Cross a little over 2000 years age, but I wonder where He is at  today. Many of the people who claim to belong to Him want to hurt me and others like me.

 There is a kind of difference between being accepted and having your uniqueness acknowledged as part of the body of Christ. But then again when everything is so generic it doesn’t seem to matter.
 I wonder what the early church was like. I am sure things were very different when the person next to you in the assembly could wind up in the same Roman jail cell with you. I am thinking encouragement was a major priority in the early church. Generic wouldn’t have worked then.

 I don’t know. Maybe if we did church differently You would know me an I would know you a little better. Imagine an assembly when its not about the “program” but people who ar united by the Holy Spirit. Who knows, maybe we could come close to knowing each other as God knows us.

No comments:

Post a Comment