Recently I was at a morning bible study at my church. I am glad I did not take offense, but I feel I should have said something. It was a simple remark from a man who studied with us. It seemed he disliked a certain news caster because he supported the LGBT community. Hmm, should I have mentioned he was sitting next to a member of the same community. Maybe I should have. It would have been a good teaching moment. Yes, I regret not saying something. I also regret that no one challenged the gentleman's attitude.
"The tax collectors and sinner were all gathering around to hear Jesus." (Luke 15:1). I have always appreciated the irony of this statement. Why would people who were already treated as outcasts by the religious community want to be around Jesus? I don't know. Maybe Jesus saw the sinners differently from the Pharisees. Maybe church isn't about exclusion but inclusion.
I don't do politics. In fact, I abhor how politics and religion have become an unholy alliance. Maybe I am just someone who cares for others. I care for my friends in the LGBT community and am saddened that they are driven away from Jesus by the very people who are supposed to share God's love.
No comments:
Post a Comment