2020
"When one has been angry for a very long time and becomes used to it, it becomes comfortable like old leather, and finally it becomes so familiar that you cannot imagine being any other way."
Jean Luc
Picard - STTNG: The Wounded
I doubt anyone will ever forget this past year. Not only have we been plunged into the pandemic, but we have faced unprecedented civil unrest. We have had armed protest groups attacking the very public officials trying to protect the public from the Covid virus. We have also seen innocent Black civilians being killed by police.
On Jan 7th, Joe Biden has been certified as the next president of the United States. However, 4 lives were lost when Trump supporters attempted an armed insurrection in Washington DC.
I do not understand any of this. There is nothing in my understanding that explains any of this to me, except perhaps one thing. For the first time in my life I have seen the hard reality of sin.
It would be easy to sit in my home and think of myself as more intelligent and morally superior to those who indulge in racist and political violence, except I am not. There is a reason I keep the quote from Star Trek handy. My anger against social injustice and the supporters of Donald Trump is strong.
Yes, I could sit here and congratulate myself for never having resorted to violence or wanting to. It doesn't mean I don't ever feel intense anger against those I believe deserve it or blame God for what is happening.
No comments:
Post a Comment